Monday, August 9, 2010

Whizzing Through America, Living Memories Tour, Near Zoarville - OH

My memories are sparser at Bash's house, even to its name. I did ask as I thought the landlords lived in the brick house up the hill but what I believe I was told is that they were either both rentals at the time or the upper house, if it was owner lived in, was not the Bash family.

My only real memory is getting a spanking. I don't know if it was because I went up to the upper house without permission and against explicit instructions not to or because I had an accident on the way back. I may have been three.

I say three because I am told that at the age of two and a half I had non-crippling polio. I guess there are/were three kinds of polio. My parents put me in as hot of water as I could stand for 30 minutes three times a day. Then I got the vaccine for the other two kinds. It must have worked. I don't feel any lasting effects but I do have a heightened sensitivity and appreciation for all who were/are affected with the more serious kind.

I also don't remember the addition of my "oldest" sister to the family. In my mind she has always been here, even though she is younger than me.

Before this place, we lived in Mineral City. My parents had to give me directions to find the place. I was still unclear so took a lot of pictures and one of them just happened to be where the place used to be. The empty lot the street back from the fire station.




My memories of Mineral City occurred later, this church. My grandparents went to this Nazarene Church until after we moved to Cincinnati. My going to this church had to have been after our move and long after I lived in Mineral City.




And finally, although not quite the end of the Living Memory Tour posts, the very first place I lived was in Bolivar, Ohio. I was brought home from the hospital to this place. We had the smaller of two apartments in this building. When the landlord reneged on giving my parents the larger apartment in favor of a relative, we moved to Mineral City. With so many places that I have lived no longer existing, it is significant that the very first that I lived still exists--at least to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment