Thursday, June 17, 2010

Whizzing Through America: Living Memories Tour, Camping in TX

The 60 miles of Ranch and Farm roads were truly what riding a motorcycle is all about. Even though the Guadalupe River was technically flooded and one culvert swale actually had water running over the road, it was great to be off of I-10. If I never ride into another headwind, it will be too soon.

The last time I saw the Guadalupe River was when Marilyn and I shared a canoe trip down it. Instead of being flooded, it was so shallow that the danger was grounding. In fact, our canoe did ground once and I simply stepped out of it. She was a true adventure guide. (More of this in my next posting when I write about our travels from our home base(s) in Houston.)

With my experience in Arizona, going 80 into a headwind and only getting 100 miles to a tank, I bought gas in Balmorhea after only 106.8 miles on the tripometer because Ft. Stockton was 46 miles further on. I then held my speed to 70 mph. About midway between Ft. Stockton and Ozona, at 106 miles on the tripometer, I had to go to the reserve tank. Forty miles later, right here in fact, the reserve tank went dry. Thank goodness when I travel long distances, I carry a couple half-liter fuel bottles. Unfortunately, I didn't have any funnel. Thank goodness Texas is also big on litter. I quickly found a plastic bottle and then had to figure out how to cut the bottom off with finger nail clippers and nose hair scissors. They didn't work. Then I remembered the motorcycle's tool kit. With the slotted screw driver I punched a hole in a side near the bottom and used the scissors to cut it off. The gas poured very well so I kept my new funnel and thus picked up at least one piece of litter.

I made it to the next gas station and filled the tank and my bottles with 4.395 gallons after driving 157.1 miles on that tank plus.

Afterwards I kept my speed down between 65 and 70 all while the speed limit was 80.

On this side of El Paso, I went through an ICE inspection point. I couldn't hear what the agent asked me, no ear holes, except for the word "citizen." I said yes and he motioned me on. Afterwards I think I reconstructed what he said: "I only have one question for you. Are you a citizen?" While I wouldn't have enjoyed the delay however short since I do happen to have my passport, I almost wish I had said, "Si."

Here I am. Doing the best kind of Texas camping.

No comments:

Post a Comment