Sunday, March 8, 2009

"Hair of the Dog"

Well, after putting the last of the chicken jerky, "Spicy Hickory," on to dehydrate, changing my clocks, eating breakfast, eating lunch, stretching my legs, and thinking about riding my motorcycle somewhere, perhaps Whole Foods for some Glucosamine Chondroitin with MSM and Fish Oil, I decided as I was almost nodding off that I should go walking. Besides not wanting to ride sleepy, the cats were in the garage and I didn't want the imagined difficulties of getting them out of there so I could get my motorcycle out.

So, I did my normal 10,000 step walk with a twist. Instead of walking around a 95-step circle at the end of a mile trail at least ten times, I walked to the circle and back out a little bit to take an off shoot trail called Valley View. It rejoined the Weiler Ranch Road so its only advantage was that it went up hill and the switch backs took the place of my going around in circles. (On the weekend there are many more observers to my crazily walking in circles, which might raise some eyebrows, but walking a trail up hill and down that doesn't actually go anywhere doesn't.)

Of course I'm getting to the age that concerns of how others see me are lessened, particularly if their interpretation has no impact on me.  If thought to be crazy, and I don't believe I am, I still don't want to be hauled off in a straight jacket.  Besides, I'm not out there pushing an envelope.  I'm just getting healthy.

So, I ended up walking 11,717 aerobic steps in an hour and 48 minutes.  I also found out that my house is 1.4 miles away from the Weiler Ranch Road trail head.  So, over 20% of my walking yesterday was just getting to the trails I walked and back.  I so definitely am driving the next time.  Maybe I should drive to Montara and walk it from that side because I kept wanting to go that way coming back.  I imagine all my misdirection added still another mile.

I'm reworking my "That Darn Pedometer" speech for the next stage of the contest.  I'm adding more gestures and chopping at least 20 seconds off of it.  I'll publish it here once I get the rework completed.  One of the comments said that it was my best speech yet.  I guess I'm in this contest to win.

No comments:

Post a Comment