Monday, March 9, 2009

My favorite poem...

While I have always remembered the poem since I first ran across it some twenty years ago and have given it out to most of my direct reports at two companies, I have not always remembered to follow it.  I thought I would share it here and wish you the best in following it yourself:

"Until one is committed there is hesitancy,
The chance to draw back,
Always ineffectiveness.
Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation)
There is one elementary truth,
The ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans:
That the moment one definitely commits oneself
Then Providence moves, too.
All sorts of things occur to help one
That would never otherwise have occurred.
A whole stream of events issues from the decision
Raising in one's favor
All manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance,
Which no man would have dreamt would have come his way."

The Scottish Himalayan Expedition by W.H. Murray, published 1951.

No comments:

Post a Comment