Friday, April 17, 2009

All atwitter

I really wasn't all atwitter on my ride down to Pasadena but I did text three messages to Twitter and via Twitter's application on to my Facebook status.  Once again I had more thoughts to tweet but didn't even have a cell phone signal at one gas stop.  (Motorcycle riding is probably as great a thinking activity as walking, at least there is plenty of time for it.  It is also a good platform to meditate on, pun intended.)

A good many of my thoughts were on Twitter, such as:  I am really impressed by the possibility of information density in a "tweet," a form of poetry, a "twery(?)."  While many people obviously don't use Twitter for anything more than, and often substantially worse than, mundane activities of their day, it could be a tool for concise, honed, well constructed observations.  While many of these constructions will be blank verse and not all that well honed as there really isn't a draft and edit process, some could be very good.  For the rhyming ones, the limited number of characters suggest an equally short rhyming scheme:  ABB or AAB.  For the latter I have two examples from my ride down:

Lack of water,
Getting hotter,
Brown is the new green.

Tumbleweeds along the fence...
Did they blow there?
Did they grow there?

I also thought that it would be cool to establish rules for a group game of chess, where a cluster of mutual followers play as a group against one person.  The one person would initiate the game with an opening move and the followers would "tweet" each of their personal moves.  Then the one person would "tweet" the majority response and his own next move.  There would have to be time limits involved to establish when the move majority can be determined.  (Unlike the Minnesota Senate race.)

Some of my other observations from the ride:  I passed a group of sheep that while all were rather close, there were distinct subgroupings of various sizes.  I couldn't help but think that it was a "clustered clusters" of sheep.  I also saw a single gas efficient car being carried by a large car hauling semi.  No wonder fuel efficient cars aren't profitable.  After the Grapevine, I was passed by a California Highway Patrol car on the right.  I knew that the posted speed limit was 65 and only looked down at my speedometer as he went by.  I was going 80.  This made me rethink what I always assumed was poor grammar in the "Speed Enforced by Aircraft."  While it obviously means speed detected by aircraft, it may be grammatically correct.  I certainly would speed up if I saw a plane coming up behind me, on the road.

My goal was to get to my daughter's and son-in-law's during daylight, which my late start, 11:30 AM, didn't help.  Once out of the Bay Area, my speed brought it back into a definite possibility, until the traffic stopped on I-210.  I was able to lane split until I finally made it to the front to find that all lanes were stopped.  
As I sat there with my motorcycle turned off, I texted my daughter to tell her I was stopped and took a couple pictures.  I had already put away my camera but would have probably missed the shot anyway when a semi rear ended a pickup truck on the opposite side.  I heard another crunch, didn't see the action, but later saw a similarly damaged black car parked to the side diagonally opposite me with another semi parked behind it.  Finally a police car with the special pushing bumper shoved a sandwiched police car to the side.  The stretcher I saw earlier may have been the cop driver.  I did not see any other damaged vehicles but I didn't do any "lookie loo" with the rather forceful reminder of what that could lead to on the other side of the expressway.

No comments:

Post a Comment