Monday, April 6, 2009

Catching up

While I'm waiting for my B-12 sublingual pill to dissolve, I thought I would try and catch up on some things I actually wrote out late Saturday while at The Nose.

It wasn't an interview, although after my education on the better wines, there may be a job, after he gets some licenses. Basically the job is coordinating and conducting tastings for the proprietors at the discerning eating establishments to get them to buy the quality wines that The Nose specializes in. Stefan is a good guy, extremely knowledgeable/passionate about wine, and good friends with my oldest daughter and her husband. (They are also good customers.)



I went to The Nose to meet with Stefan Yim and also to have dinner. Stefan and I talked off and on through the evening but as The Nose became very busy, he was up serving and educating customers quite a bit. My dinner consisted of an asparagus soup, an artichoke/frisee with blood orange salad, and a coconut froth (instead of whipped cream) with berries dessert. There were other non-vegan options, including a spread of specialty cheeses, but all the food, including the vegan varieties, were constructed to complement the wine. Just like the wine, the food emphasized the natural flavors with the dessert not sweetened to perfection.

The flight of three wines that I had, an organic Tajinaste, a biodynamic Corbieres L' Enclos from the Domaine des Deux Anes, and a biodynamic Cahors by Clos Siguier, were fantastic and weren't all that much more expensive than the wines that give a person a hangover. The key to drinking fine wine of any year is to let it breathe sufficiently, which makes for a much more leisurely and thus more enjoyable meal.

I now have a preservative that will allow me to enjoy a good wine without having to finish off the bottle, which I don't do and thus haven't had any wine when by myself. Still, its not nearly as much fun to eat and drink alone. My oldest daughter and son-in-law joined me for a glass of wine nightcap.

I really enjoyed the People watching, something I've rarely spent any time doing since college. There was one couple who came in on the recommendation of The Nose's sign board carrier who actually gave him a tip when he came in to put up his sign. I saw him when I walked to The Nose interacting with a potential customer. He also seemed quite passionate and his recommendation appeared to be well received.

The Nose is closed on Sundays and Mondays, however, the chef, who hopes to have a website up by early May (http://www.collectivecuisine.com), didn't leave until midnight and had to be up at 5:00 AM to prepare for his catering a buffet to food critics. He is also working on a cookbook. His menu at The Nose changes seasonally with the ingredients that are available, mostly organic, in the season. Of course, this is California and a lot of freshly grown foods are available year round.

Even in advance of any actual work, I will be creating a group on Facebook for The Nose. It just seems like the right, and fun, thing to do.




Yesterday we went to the Huntington Gardens, well, Estate, although we only toured some of the gardens. On a previous visit here with Marilyn, we all went in the palace of a house and toured the museum and library inside. This time we spent a considerable amount of time touring their arid plants, some of the pictures can be seen in my Facebook album. I also have pictures of some of the other sections we toured, including the new addition of the Chinese Garden where all the rocks are imported from China, but not nearly as many. A lot of the plants were beautiful with blooms and a lot great smells, not that I put my nose into any, particularly in any on the cacti.

Today my son-in-law is off to Seattle and my daughter is at Cal Tech working. She also has her choir practice tonight so I'm on my own for the day, the entire day. I was thinking about going for a ride, but may just take a long walk. If it turns into anything significant, I'll be certain to let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment