Monday, April 13, 2009

What am I training for?

Now that my youngest daughter and her husband are back from their Eastern trip, the time grows short before they are on their 2,600+ mile hike from the Mexican border to just across the Canadian border. Before that hike's onset, they need to complete their replenishment packages.

And either get, or stay, in shape. To this end we hiked up to the top and back down Montara Mountain from Grey Whale Cove, about ten miles, yesterday. Today we hiked along the San Andreas lakes on the San Andreas Lake Trail and the Sawyer Camp Trail. While today's hike was a little longer in mileage, it was much flatter and thus less strenuous. Its only drawback was the wind, which was quite strong. We turned around just a mile further than one of my earlier hikes on the same trails. I was glad we did. My legs were quite rubbery by the time we got back to the car.




I followed them a good bit of the way. I walked beside them some but half the paved path was just a little too narrow to do that, especially with all the traffic. I finally raced in front of them and made them stop for a picture.

I don't know whether it was normal or not but there were a lot of police and ranger traffic. One ranger stopped us and made a point of telling us that there was no camping. They said that they were just training. Today they hiked with less weight than they carried yesterday. Yesterday they plopped a couple of gallons of bottled water in each of their packs to get it up to what they anticipate will be their PCT pack weight, around 27 pounds. Today they hiked with just a shade less, around 18 pounds. At one time we were going to hike the full 16 miles round trip but with the wind and the late start, we only did 11.

If we hike at all tomorrow, it will be a shorter hike. Maybe I'll take them up to Sweeney Ridge from the Orchid Nursery parking lot. I haven't hiked from there yet myself.  I need to get more mundane things done.  While it is really stretching it to say that this entry is about anything significant, I'm sure there won't be one tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment